Re: [Hampshire] Remote voting at general meetings

Author: Paul Stimpson
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Remote voting at general meetings
Hi,

I agree with Sean we may not know who someone is at a meeting. I'm new to the group and if someone comes to the AGM and says "Hi, I'm Paul" then, unless there's someone there that knows me from Surrey LUG, they will probable be accepted as me.

I do believe that the security deployed should be appropriate for what is being protected in that it shouldn't be an unnecessary burden on the user and should reflect the value of what is being protected. For example I think it would be just as inappropriate to purchase a £2000 safe to stop the guy at the next desk stealing my lunchtime Jaffa Cakes as it would to use a garden shed and a £4.99 padlock from B&Q to keep gold bars.

Unless I'm mistaken, the votes at meetings would not give someone massive financial or other personal gain were they to be manipulated and getting your own vote is easy and cheap. Has there ever been a suspicion that someone has tried to vote illegitimately? Is there an organised plot to embrace and extend us to love Vista? ;) I don't see a massive problem unless large scale vote rigging was being alleged or a vote was very close on a contentious issue.

I would propose that someone be appointed to keep emails expressing a vote including the headers. If there was a dispute the email could be produced along with the headers showing the IP address it was posted from and other headers were consistent with other messages from the person.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Paul.