[Hampshire] Desperately seeking Ubuntu Webbook - with Bolt C…

Author: Lisi
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Desperately seeking Ubuntu Webbook - with Bolt Cutters!
<quote>
Chris Smith wrote:
> alan c wrote:
>> In Bracknell, the Carphone Warehouse Webbook (Elonex) with
>> preinstalled Ubuntu which is included in one of CPW's deals is in such
>> extraordinary demand that the recent display item in CPW Bracknell
>> Princess Square shopping mall was stolen last week by desperate people
>> using *bolt cutters*!
>>
>> The many larger laptops with Vista installed were left untouched. Sad
>> eh? Even thieves don't want Vista.
>
> It's truly shocking, the lengths to which Microsoft will go to keep
> open-source software from the buying public...

I think some of the Carphone Warehouse employees must be taking back
handers from Microsoft somewhere [1]. When I was in the Havant branch
the other day I heard one actively trying not to sell a Webbook to a
customer. It was probably more complicated than that, but he was telling
them that they only had the Linux versions in stock and you couldn't do
anything with those. It was, according to him, much better to wait for a
Windows (XP) version because you could install software on it and
actually use it to do stuff!

[1] Note for the public archives, this is humour!!
</quote>

Sorry all about the strange quotes and broken thread. :-(

But I have a more cheerful addendum. I was in Carphone Warehouse in
Petersfield yesterday because my granddaughter wanted to put some money on
her mobile 'phone. I looked idly at the display next to me while waiting for
her - and there was a Webbook in all its splendour running Ubuntu. So when
my granddaughter moved on from topping up her mobile 'phone to window
shopping earphones, I collared the salesman who had been serving her and
asked if he would like some leaflets explaining Ubuntu. He said that they
are not allowed to display any leaflets but their own. So I said perhaps for
the staff, perhaps for him. And he said... He knew thanks. He used Linux
at home and actually had a Webbook. So I said that there was obviously no
need for me to attempt to persuade him of its virtues, and he said no, there
was no need to convert him because he was already converted!!! :-)

"In front the sun climbs slow, how slowly; but westward look! the land is
bright."

Lisi