Re: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl
Gordon Scott wrote:
> I'd definitely agree that coder is more relevant than the language when
> it comes to readability.

I agree - and would like to add that perl has the stigma of being a "web
tool" when it is used by various orgs as part of business critical systems.

My employer collects data from telecoms switches - and reconfigures said
switches - with perl's help.
I like the way that you can use the POD to encapsulate tests, WSDL etc.

Having worked with a wide range fo languages from BCPL, C, through to
Ada I like the flexibility and *responsibility* perl gives you.

I have helped train junior members of staff and insisted that they
roll both pod, stub code and tests before starting to code the real
application. In almost all cases this has worked.

I was also one of the first perl clinic "medics" and have seen some
truly terrible "professional" perl written by companies that should
know better.

Jacqui