Re: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56f86100.hantslug.org.uk.31396': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Oct 15 21:21:27 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 08:17:58PM +0100, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 20:13:31 +0100, Stephen Rowles wrote:
> > However for applications I hate perl! It is far to easy to write perl code
> > that is impossible to read, and some of those magic perl tricks can make
> > it even worse! There are so many nasty horrible things you can do with
> > perl, and far to many people use them ;) (usually all of them at once if
> > they possibly can!)
>
> Every time I hear this complaint I think of myself. I say exactly
> the same thing about the majority of PHP code I touch - but that is
> probably because I'm cleaning up security holes.
>
> Honestly I don't understand why Perl has this reputation. It is
> possible to do clever "tricks" in any environment interesting enough
> to be useful. Similarly a bad coder will be a bad coder regardless
> of implementation language.

I think there are two reasons for perl's reputation. One is that
perl has rather more awkward corners and bizarre-looking language
constructs than most non-stunt languages. The second is cultural...
One of my .sig lines reads:

      "There's more than one way to do it" is not a commandment.
      It is a dire warning.

I stand by that statement. :)

On the other hand, as one of the maintainers of a 130k-line perl
webapp, I can confirm that it *can* be written to be (mostly)
readable, maintainable, and sensible.

Hugo.

   --- Two things came out of Berkeley in the 1960s: LSD and Unix. ---
                       This is not a coincidence.