Re: [Hampshire] Does anyone else have any mad ideas to do wi…

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Does anyone else have any mad ideas to do with computers for if they came into a large sum of money?
Hi Paul,
2008/10/8 Paul Stimpson <paul@???>:
> Victor Churchill wrote:
>> I have always fancied the idea of a house with webcams and floor
>> pressure sensors so that it turns on the lights for you as you're
>> going up stairs and then turns them off again.
>
> I think you might be better with small PIR sensors as you'd need less
> processing power to achieve your result and you'd avoid the funny feel
> of pads under the carpet and the frequent (in my experience) false
> events these pads can generate.

Didn't know that false alarms were an issue. But yes, you are probably
right about the 'funny feel'. And yes you are probably right that you
could do it with PIR sensors but it would not be as much FUN!!! And
far too sensible and practical for the topic of this thread...

> Have you considered using X10 so your computer can control the lighting?

'sall just a pipe dream at the moment. Part of the 'Grand Designs'
from-the-ground-up fantasy. Wouldn't really work in a Grade II Listed
thatched cottage where I live at the mo anyway.