Re: [Hampshire] New box for Virtualisation

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New box for Virtualisation

> A 32-bit OS can address about 3.5 GB of RAM.

That's Windows. Linux has far superior memory handling - as long as you
use it.

> If you need anything more than this the host OS will need to be 64 bit as
> it needs to be able to access all the RAM in use

The 32-bit hugemem kernels from RHEL will address 64GB. For RHEL3, you got
a 4GB limit per process - I doubt that's changed, but I don't actually
know for sure.

> I would hope you
> could run 32 bit OSes as guests on a 64 bit host. Can someone please
> confirm or refute this?

You can.

I have been unable to run 64-bit guests on a 32-bit Xen host; I suspect
this is impossible (but it might just be that I hadn't actually read any
of the documentation at the time).

Vic.