Re: [Hampshire] USB Keyboard Query

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] USB Keyboard Query

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57a74100.hantslug.org.uk.13593': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Oct 5 21:35:28 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 09:28:19PM +0100, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> I'll be honest and say that this is my first port of call after a
> rummage in the BIOS, but having just added my first USB keyboard I have
> run into and annoying little issue with it.
>
> Basically it is not recognised until the Ubuntu is loaded, which means I
> cannot get into the BIOS or dual-boot into Windows without reattaching
> the old PS2 keyboard.

It's plausible that either the BIOS or the keyboard (more likely
the former) doesn't support the USB boot protocol -- as I understand
it, this is a cut-down USB HID(*) protocol intended for implementation
in BIOSes and for use at boot time.

Hugo.

(*) HID == Human Interface Device

    --- How do you become King?  You stand in the marketplace and ---
          announce you're going to tax everyone. If you get out
                           alive, you're King.