Re: [Hampshire] Conflicting packages

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Conflicting packages
2008/10/4 B STEVENS <b.stevens611@???>:
> Hi All
>
> I want to install Wine but I get an error.
>
> In Synaptic:
>
> wine:
> Depends: libldap2 (>=2.1.17-1) but it is not installable.
>
> I'm assuming (dangerous!) that the conflict is with libldap-2.4-2 but when I
> try to remove it, another 187 packages are selected.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Regards
>
> Bryan

You're not necessarily doing anything wrong. Sometimes versions of
packages come out in an order that makes some of them uninstallable
for a while. If you use aptitude you can examine why a package is
uninstallable and ask it to suggest options for resolving the problem.
Sometimes you just have to wait for the updated packages to hit the
repos.

ATB, Peter