Re: [Hampshire] extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 10:57:52 +0100
john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:

> <snipped>
>
> > > but when I do "ipup ra0" I end up with "SIOCSIFADDR: no such
> > > device"
> >
> > That error means that it can't find the hardware, presumably due to
> > the cardbus error. If it isn't listed in lspci then it's not going
> > to work.
>
> I am still getting the same error and the card is still not being
> listed in by lspci, makes me wonder if there is a hardware fault,
> either the card or the socket (it _is_ an old laptop)

I plugged in another wireless card (ie a DLink one) & lspci can see it
but I don't have the driver for it, I did ages ago try using
ndiswrapper and the windows driver but could get this working.

I also tested the Edimax card in, of all things, a freeBSD based
laptop, it just worked and connected to the wi-fi service in
Witherspoons, Bristol where the B&B LUG meeting took place.

So can eliminate problems with socket & card

I have solved the problem for now though - I went out yesterday and
bought an EeePC 900 :-) That connects to my local WAP when I have it
running and tries to connect to various wireless networks in Yeovil.

I have installed geneweb on the EeePC so can carry the database around
with me which was one of the main reasons for having a laptop.

Thanks for the attempt to help, Peter

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop