Re: [Hampshire] Mobile broadband dongle things

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mobile broadband dongle things

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Jim Kissel wrote:

> Kai Hendry wrote:
>> Sorry to bother you guys again. What speeds are you getting on your dongles?
>>
>> Hopefully better than what I get with 3 & X-series bluetooth:
>> http://www.speedtest.net/result/325425509.png
>>
> According to the dongle monitor on my Asus 901, anywhere between 300kb
> and 900kb up stream, and as high a 5mb down stream.

That's better than I've managed, I don't think I've ever achieved more
than 2mb down. Though to be honest I rarely get more than 1mb in the areas
I usually use it. Not that that is an issue for me as I really only use it
for email and web browsing when travelling, and for that I'm quite happy
with it, however I wouldn't want it to be my only net connection.

This is obviously very coverage and location dependant though so it is
hard to judge what your performace will be like without knowing where you
are going to use it.

Andy