[Hampshire] enabling ZD-1211b wireless card

Author: Lisi
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] enabling ZD-1211b wireless card
I have followed Jonathan's advice and acquired a ZD-1211b wireless USB dongle.
And I have been crawling thorugh setting it up at the rate of an hour or 2 on
the internet and one small step, followed by an hour or 2....

But although I have managed to progress a bit, crucially iwconfig still tells
me (odd choice of name the box's, not mine):

eth1   IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:off/any Nickname:"zd1211"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Invalid

The nickname was supplied automatically, so it has obviously found the right
card.

And ifconfig gives me its hardware address, so it must be seeing it.

But I cannot get past that "Access Point: Invalid", which Google suggests
refers to the card being "off" and not to anything being wrong with the AP on
the router.

Has anyone any ideas??

TIA
Lisi