Re: [Hampshire] Debian Lenny 5. Gnome Live CD.

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Lenny 5. Gnome Live CD.
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:36:46 +0100
Phillip Chandler <phillip.chandler@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 21:22 +0100, Hugo Mills wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 09:08:05PM +0100, John Lewis wrote:
> >
> >    If I recall, there's a drop-down box on the address bar in 2.x
> > as well, although the behaviour is a little different. That
> > behaviour can almost certainly be changed -- looking at "bar" in
> > about:config shows several plausible candidates. Without knowing
> > what you object to, I can't really suggest anything more than
> > that.

> Hi Hugo.
>
> I dont really object, in a stand up on my soap box kind of object. I
> read that FF3 uses a database to store the bookmarks and the drop
> down box lists loads of links. Ive got so used to using FF2, that I
> wanted to stick with it. So was just seeing if its easily possibe
> to just uninstall whatever-version 3.xx and install Firefox 2.x.
> Plus I have FF2 working nicely with adblock, colour tabs & prefbar.
> Im the only user on my laptop, so currently have ff2 + everything
> installed in my home directory rather than system wide so all users
> use it.
>
> >    Use of SQLite is really not that bad. It's way more robust
> > than, say, BDB, it's not a large library, and quite frankly I'd
> > prefer that than some horrid XML mess. :)

I had no idea when I wrote earlier that iceweasel/firefox used
sqlite. Although iceweasel is installed I only use it if I have
problems accessing a site with my referred browser (opera) so have
had no reason to look into ~/.mozila/firefox/*default where I now
discover there are several files *.sqlite

However I can see no evidence that any package with name sqlite
is actually installed so is it something embedded into iceweasel?

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop