[Hampshire] Debian Lenny 5. Gnome Live CD.

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Debian Lenny 5. Gnome Live CD.
Hopefully one of you may be able to help me.

Three things that bugged me with Debian :

1) - Getting my Belkin wireless card working.
2) - Connecting to my shared folders on my server, go into a folder to
get the wireless drivers, and the browser would crash. This is where you
click on the menu, Places > Network and navigate to the firewall
server / shared folders.
3) - Iceweasel removal, and installing FF2.

Ive just tried the Gnome live CD of Debian Lenny, and points 1 & 2 seem
to have been sorted. My wireless card is now natively seen, and the
opening of network folders doesn't crash out. Now all I need to do is
sort out point 3.

So my lame question is - If I was to uninstall iceweasel, go into
nautilus, show hidden folders and delete everything relating to
iceweasel / mozilla etc, download firefox 2.0.0.16, untar into my home
directory, install libstc++5, create a launcher to the firefox
executable, then would this work ?

Your probably asking why Im after using firefox 2.x. Just preference
really. Im just so into my own little annoying habits of how I want to
do things, and Im not yet ready to switch over to a browser that does
stuff via a database, and has a horrible drop down menu on the link box.

Oh and I couldnt find a menu listing for installing Debian from the live
cd. So is there some terminal script I need to run, to install to my
HDD, or would I have to download another ISO ?

Thanks
Phillip