Re: [Hampshire] Wireless Woes

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless Woes
B STEVENS wrote:
> > - the output of 'iwconfig -a'
>
> That didn't work!

No, it wouldn't Bryan, that was me mixing up ifconfig and iwconfig! I
knew there was something amiss when I hit send but the brain was too
fuzzy to register it - good on you for decoding it though and apologies
for being thick.

I haven't had a chance to plough through the output yet thoroughly -
it's still pretty early - but I am sure others will later.

However, I spotted this in your output - 'iwl3945: Radio Frequency Kill
Switch is On' - looks a bit suspicious doesn't it? It might be worth
looking for reasons why this is reported, since some laptops permit you
to switch off wireless networking via a key combination (Fn +
<whatever>), a physical switch and even in the BIOS. A google on that
error chucked up a few hits - might be worth following up on those.

With the router, is there a need to allow the card to join the network?
I doubt it was enabled by default - I think it is an option with
Homehubs - but it would certainly be show-stopper if it were enabled so
it might be worth a trawl through the admin console to see what is going
on there.

A few more questions:
    - What distro/version are you using?
    - Do other wireless cards work on the network?
    - Does the machine dual-boot and can it (or did it) connect under
Windows?

Hope that steers you in the right direction.

Sean