Re: [Hampshire] Power reduction on a home "server"

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Power reduction on a home "server"
> Also, how can I tell if cpu speed scaling etc. is actually working? I have
> the following process running:
>
> /usr/libexec/hald-addon-cpufreq

To answer my own question on that, no idea why I didn't find it before. I
have installed cpufreq-utils which provides a nice command line utility
called cpufreq-info:

[root@miner ~]# cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
Report errors and bugs to linux@???, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: powernow-k8
  CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0
  hardware limits: 1000 MHz - 1.90 GHz
  available frequency steps: 1.90 GHz, 1.80 GHz, 1000 MHz
  available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 1000 MHz and 1.90 GHz.
                  The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 1000 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).

So I'm running at the slowest speed, which is good :) But I would still be
keen to look at underclocking the box to make it use even less power :D