Re: [Hampshire] Desperately seeking Ubuntu Webbook - with Bo…

Author: Paul Tansom
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Desperately seeking Ubuntu Webbook - with BoltCutters!
Chris Smith wrote:
> alan c wrote:
>> In Bracknell, the Carphone Warehouse Webbook (Elonex) with
>> preinstalled Ubuntu which is included in one of CPW's deals is in such
>> extraordinary demand that the recent display item in CPW Bracknell
>> Princess Square shopping mall was stolen last week by desperate people
>> using *bolt cutters*!
>>
>> The many larger laptops with Vista installed were left untouched. Sad
>> eh? Even thieves don't want Vista.
>
> It's truly shocking, the lengths to which Microsoft will go to keep
> open-source software from the buying public...

I think some of the Carphone Warehouse employees must be taking back
handers from Microsoft somewhere [1]. When I was in the Havant branch
the other day I heard one actively trying not to sell a Webbook to a
customer. It was probably more complicated than that, but he was telling
them that they only had the Linux versions in stock and you couldn't do
anything with those. It was, according to him, much better to wait for a
Windows (XP) version because you could install software on it and
actually use it to do stuff!

[1] Note for the public archives, this is humour!!

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office:
begin:vcard
fn:Paul Tansom
n:Tansom;Paul
org:Aptanet
adr:Widley;;39 The Thicket;Waterlooville;Hants.;PO7 5JL;England
email;internet:paul@???
tel;work:023 92380001
tel;cell:07799 662434
x-mozilla-html:FALSE