Re: [Hampshire] Net-SSH-Perl vs Net::SSH, Expect.pm and Tcl.…

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Net-SSH-Perl vs Net::SSH, Expect.pm and Tcl.pm
Victor Churchill wrote:

> Sounds as if you are wanting to create a distributable piece of code
> that does not depend on Perl (or some of the modules) being installed
> on the target platform?
> If so, perl2exe [1] may be of help:
>
> Perl2Exe
>
> Perl2Exe is a command line program for converting Perl scripts to
> executable files.

The distributable piece of code will be in two parts; the
installer/updater and the installed application parts, I have two choices;
create an installation package that can be run on nearly any platform. If
the applications is successful the odd Windows or Solaris user will have
to to use Linux box's or VM's for the installed code. So for that part
Perl2Exe would be ideal.

Or make the installer native Linux only - which following on from Jim
Kissel's response suggesting the use of Net::SSH rather than
Net::SSH::Perl means I could not 'Perl2Exe' the installer.

The installed code parts will use native Linux applications (SSH/Rsync and
so on) either way and I intend to distribute the whole thing GPL'd.

Thanks, Damian

--
Damian L Brasher
http://www.diap.org.uk - Quick and low-cost way to make an environment