Re: [Hampshire] Laser printers ?

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laser printers ?
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:30:43 +0100
"Russell Gadd" <russ.mail.lists@???> wrote:

> I just bought a new colour cartridge for my HP Deskjet and then saw
> someone in a discussion group say he'd had his laser printer a long
> time and buys new toner once every few years. This set me thinking
> whether I should switch to using a black and white laser as 99.9%
> of my printing is black - my expensive colour cartridges usually
> dry up rather than run out.
>
> Does anyone have any experience / recommendation for a laser
> printer for home use?

I bought an HP Laserjet 2100 from Jamies for £25 a couple of years
back, it still had a cartridge in it and I haven't yet had to buy a
replacement.

Cartridge needs a shake every now and then but it works just fine for
most of out printing needs which is 99% b&w. For getting the odd
colour print from a photo I use jessops printing service using the
card in my camera.

Is Cups friendly so providing samba hasn't thrown a wobbly during an
upgrade I can use it for both the w2k and debian systems on my home
network

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop