Re: [Hampshire] dumb aptitude question

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: apache and php [was Re: [Hampshire] dumb aptitude question]
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] dumb aptitude question
2008/8/9 Hugo Mills <hugo@???>:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 02:00:12PM -0500, Mike Burrows wrote:
>> How come after I run aptitude purge apache2, a whole bunch of apache2
>> related stuff is still there when i run locate apache2?
>>
>> eg:
>>
>> /var/log/apache2/access.log.4.gz
> [snip]
>
> These weren't shipped in the package -- they were created by the
> application. Thus the package manager doesn't know about them, and
> can't sensibly remove them.
>
>> or:
>>
>> /usr/share/doc/apache2-doc/manual/mod/mod_log_config.html.ko.euc-kr
> [snip]
>
> Not in the apache2 package:
>
> $ dpkg -S /usr/share/doc/apache2-doc
> apache2-doc: /usr/share/doc/apache2-doc

And also could be relevant: if you run 'locate' immediately after the
removal it won't have updated its database - which it does daily,
typically, or on demand if you run updatedb.
Apologies if you had already run updatedb between the remove and the locate!