Re: [Hampshire] Re: The Elonex webbook at Carphone Warehouse

Author: Alan Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: The Elonex webbook at Carphone Warehouse
yes, absolutely, the E220 etc already fundamentally works on Linux, the
dialer client organises the PPP connection and deals with the APN
settings and DNS settings for the various networks, it also deals with
the driver for the Option 225 dongle which works a bit more like a
network card than a modem and it shows signal strength and the type of
network you are connected to (GPRS/HSDPA/UMTS). The wader-gtk client
does the same thing as the GUI on Xandros on the eeePC, but it knows
about more networks and more dongles and deals with some stupidity from
the networks like when they give you bogus DNS servers of 10.11.12.13
and 10.11.12.14. Oh and I am pretty sure the Xandros thing isn't GPL
licensed.

Alan.

--
Alan Bell
The Open Learning Centre

Web: www.theopenlearningcentre.com
Mob: +44 (0)7736 778908
Tel: +44 (0)8444 3576000

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55