Re: [Hampshire] CD Ripping

Top Page
Author: The Holy ettlz
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CD Ripping

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56d5a100.hantslug.org.uk.24780': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Aug 4 23:06:43 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2FF22CF403F94B5D
On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 22:11 +0100, Tim wrote:
> OK I use Kaudiocreator for ripping CD's, they rip to mp3 with medium settings.
> My PC is a P4 2.8ghz and 1gb mem, with files being saved to a ext. USB HD on
> my linux machine. When it runs it max's out at 100% cpu and takes ages,
> memory useage reports plenty of memory available.
>
> Now if I rip the CD using window media player v11 on Vista, it will rips two
> CD (saving them to the same ext hd as the my linux box uses) before the
> kaudiocreator is half way through one cd. The Vista PC spec is twin core
> 3.0ghz with 2gb, the pc is pulling between 5 & 25% on both cores.
>
> Now I can accept that the spec of the Vista PC is greater but my mepis box is
> a slug when it comes to ripping CD's, why??

Any number of factors. If kaudiocreator is using a paranoia-derived
ripper, that takes extra time with its error checking. The MP3 encoder
might be of a higher quality than the one in WMP11.

> What does everybody else use to rip cd's??

grip, or cdparanoia -Y/split into two batches/oggenc -q5.

James

--
The Holy ettlz                              TheHolyettlz@???
PGP key ID: 03F94B5D