[Hampshire] Zope

Top Page
Author: Paul Tansom
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Zope

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58001100.hantslug.org.uk.31855': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Jul 30 17:09:19 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key EB60007D30CC08A5
Has anyone installed Zope, particularly on Debian (or I guess perhaps
Ubunut, although this box is currently Debian)? So far I'm considering
that pulling hens teeth may be an easier way to pass the time!

What I'm trying to do is take a look at IssueTrackerProduct, which
requires Zope 2.x. There is a Zope2.9 package which I have installed,
and that has pulled in zope-common, which appear on the face of things
to have installed fine along with all dependencies.

There is clearly more to it than that though. You can't connect to Zope
on either the default port 8080 or the Debian default of 9673. This
seems to make sense since it is not running (I've not tried to mess
around with getting it running under Apache, it can do its own thing for
now!).

If I run /etc/init.d/zope2.9 it complains that there are no instances
found, which is a shame as I'd hoped it would have configured its web
management by default, but no matter. There is a user created, and a
quick look on the Zope website indicates that there is a zopectl
package. Sadly this is no longer the case, but I have found zopectl.py
in /usr/lib/zope2.9/lib/python/Zope2/Startup/. Unfortunately using this
to attempt the command zopectl -access default as per the instructions
yields the error ImportError: No module named zdaemon.

Taking a look at the Debian documentation it seems that the file
/usr/share/doc/zope2.9/README.Debian.gz, which links from there via
../zope-common/README.Debian.gz does not exist, although there is a
README.Ubuntu.gz!! This gives a few useful bits of information about
dzhandle, but leaves me none the wiser about getting the Zope web
interface running so I can get my logging system up and running :(

I'm also slightly puzzled by the lack of any files in /etc/zope2.9, and
the fact that there's no /etc/zopectl directory that seems to be
referenced in a lot of the online documentation.

Installing from source and compiling seemed like the hard way to
evaluate this, but I'm beginning to wonder at the moment. I'm also
heading right back to my original dislike of Zope from my first
experience of it back in my Caveonet/Smoothwall days when every time I
had a Zope site update it trashed the existing one and I had to
completely obliterate and install it from scratch (thankfully just the
site, and not the whole Zope install).

Anyhoo, just wondering whether anyone had any pearls of wisdom - I'd say
perls but this is python ;)

- --
Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office:
begin:vcard
fn:Paul Tansom
n:Tansom;Paul
org:Aptanet
adr:Widley;;39 The Thicket;Waterlooville;Hants.;PO7 5JL;England
email;internet:paul@???
tel;work:023 92380001
tel;cell:07799 662434
x-mozilla-html:FALSE