Re: [Hampshire] WiFi hotspots

Top Page
Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] WiFi hotspots

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56e70100.hantslug.org.uk.29356': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jul 27 14:46:32 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key B15F69BD3454B217
Chris Smith wrote:
> Brad Rogers wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:15:48 +0100
>> Chris Smith <cjs94@???> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Chris,
>>
>>> For some unknown reason they intercept
>>> all SMTP traffic and route it through their own server;
>> SPAM avoidance, perhaps?
>
> I can't see how. They don't seem to block any SMTP traffic, just
> reroute it through their own servers. I wouldn't have noticed it at all
> if it wasn't for the fact that I use TLS, which isn't supported by their
> server.

This is most probably done to stop your average Joe user from
complaining when they can't send email via the wireless connection,
because they're MUA is trying to send it via their ISPs servers and
won't work ("unable to relay").

Regards,
David.
--