Re: [Hampshire] TRYING to set up my own simple mail server? …

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] TRYING to set up my own simple mail server? Can anyone help?
Vic wrote:

---8< snip --------

>> Have a think about a dedicated machine that doesn't get used
>> for much else
>>

> I don't know about that; I suppose it depends on how likely you think you
> are to take the box down...
>

>> and think about setting yourself up with a virtual
>> machine to test updates and changes before they are pushed on to the
>> live mail server.
>>

> I don't. But then if I lose email access for 30 minutes, it really isn't
> the end of my world...

I know what you mean Vic, but Jason mentioned that there was going to be
some business-related stuff going through this machine too

If you are confident you can reinstall from bare metal in an hour or two
then that's all well and good, but if you only went through the process
once, got a load of help and didn't write it up properly, then it's a
different matter. Especially if you are a couple of years down the line,
the business is growing and the mail server dies suddenly...

Same goes for the dedicated machine - if this is being used for a
business and also has the nippers trying to get a game server running on
it then you might be heading for a fall. By all means run a Web site and
a few other services off it, but be wary of a machine where new apps are
being installed all the time and other users have privileged access as
it makes troubleshooting bothersome.

All IMHO of course!

Sean