Re: [Hampshire] USB pen drive recovery software

Author: Isaac Close
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] USB pen drive recovery software

--- On Wed, 23/7/08, Rob Malpass <lug@???> wrote:

> From: Rob Malpass <lug@???>
> Subject: [Hampshire] USB pen drive recovery software
> To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
> Date: Wednesday, 23 July, 2008, 6:09 PM
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone know any good simple (and most importantly
> free) Linux or
> Windows software for USB drive recovery? The wife has
> been keeping all her
> files on her USB stick which has just died. I've had
> a play with gdbrescue
> but I couldn't make it work for me.

You may have more success looking for a normal hard-disk data recovery software packacge (don't know about gdbrescue)
if you transfer byte by byte to a hard disk with 'dd', assuming its just
a corrupted filesystem.

(assuming your usb stick is /dev/sda and blank hard drive is /dev/hdd) :

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/hdd

hth

Isaac

Not happy with your email address?.