Re: [Hampshire] Bringing a newer version of Samba in to Debi…

Top Page
Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Bringing a newer version of Samba in to Debian etch?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5802a100.hantslug.org.uk.28990': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jul 17 21:02:14 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key B15F69BD3454B217
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 08:22:51PM +0100, Dr Adam Trickett wrote:
> On Thursday 17 Jul 2008, David Ramsden wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've got a Debian 4 (etch) server and I need to use Samba version 3.0.30
> > or greater. Etch has version 3.0.24.
> >
> > I see that Debian lenny has version 3.0.30 so I could bring in the .deb
> > from lenny in to my etch installation and hope it doesn't break
> > anything. Or, I could remove Samba and compile it from source (looking
> > at the args it was compiled with in etch).
>
> You can tell apt/aptitude that you want to install a package from lenny and it
> can in theory if there are not too many dependencies do it for you. Do a
> Google search for pinning.

[snip]

I knew there was a way of doing this but pinning slipped my mind.
Thanks!

> Mixing isn't a good idea if it can be avoided, do you really need the newer
> version?

Yes :( The Linux box needs to talk to a Windows domain that has been
upgraded to Windows Server 2008. Microsoft decided to conform to a few
RFCs this time around so they fixed their broken Kerberos implementation
which has meant that Samba (prior to 3.0.29) doesn't work.

On top of that, I can't upgrade the whole install to lenny because
that'll break another package which depends on older libs and binaries.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards,
David.
--