Re: [Hampshire] Hibernating X sessions

Author: Brad Macpherson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hibernating X sessions

On 9 Jul 2008, at 11:05, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like a feature whereby I am running a remote X session to a
> server.
> Then, if I hibernate the local PC, I would like the X sessions to
> still be there when I come back out of hibernation.
> Unfortunately, the remote machine has disconnected me in the mean
> time. We have tried VNC, but it does not seem good enough as it seems
> to always only show the console, so not much use in a multi-user
> environment.
> I thought NX might have helped, but it does not seem to.

That's exactly what VNC and NX do by default. Usually, it's more
mucking around to get VNC to show the console X display. If you set
up a VNC server session on the remote machine, e.g. on 'caprica':

vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x768

will set up a persistent X server on display :1. You can then connect
to the corresponding VNC server:

vncviewer caprica:1

The only practical limit to the number of VNC servers you can run on
a machine would be the number of available ports (each VNC server
listens on 3 ports; one for the X server, one for the VNC connection
and one HTTP connection over which the VNC viewer applet can be
served. The HTTP connection is optional, though) or the capacity of
your machine to run all the programs simultaneously. Every user
should be able to get a display up, though. You may want to look into
setting up each user a dedicated display, so they can set their
DISPLAY variables in their profiles.

You can disconnect from the VNC server, and turn your local machine
off etc, and reconnect later (or from another machine) without any
problems.

Cheers

Brad

http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/man/vncviewer.html