Re: [Hampshire] Disk space tracking/du comparison

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Disk space tracking/du comparison

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56f97100.hantslug.org.uk.12976': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jul 4 17:25:24 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Andy,

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 12:08:21PM -0400, Andy Random wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, Andy Smith wrote:
> >Any standard network monitoring/reporting package should be able to
> >do this. I use snmpd to provide the values, cacti to graph them and
> >nagios to alert on them.
>
> I'm not sure how those tools would help do what I'm after.
>
> snmpd isn't likely to provide the level of detail that du does unless
> you configure snmp to report on the size of every directory, which seems
> somewhat excessive.

Ah right, I didn't realise you wanted per-directory. Can't think
offhand of anything that will do that. I normally just wait for the
alerts and then do

du -xn | sort -rn

to see the biggest directories.

The thing is, normally I am doing this on quite large filesystems.
Such a du can take a really long time and impact performance while
it's doing it. I'm not sure I'd want to automate it, even once per
day..

> I don't need or want a pretty graph (at least I can't envisage a graph
> that would help me) and I already know there is an issue because nagios
> told me that the drive had reached it's warning level.

Everybody needs graphs! :)

Cheers,
Andy