Re: [Hampshire] Linux drobo alternative

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux drobo alternative

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5839d100.hantslug.org.uk.22479': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Jul 1 11:02:04 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 09:56:23AM +0100, Vic wrote:
> > I was wondering if it's possible to do this with Linux using software
> > raid
>
> Well yes - Drobo *is* a Linux box...

Popey told me it ran vxworks..

I'm not aware of management software that makes it as simple as the
drobo, but it is of course possible to do (more manually) with mdadm
and lvm.

I'm not a great believer in having things like that done
automatically, as there is great difference between RAID levels in
terms of redundancy and performance.

Also I wouldn't want a lot of storage connected over USB,
preferring firewire or eSATA.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.