[Hampshire] kde shutdown hangs machine - Slackware 12.1

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] kde shutdown hangs machine - Slackware 12.1
Hi all

This is a Slackware issue I think. I'm having a problem with a clean install of Slack 12.1. In typical Slack fashion it's got the difficult things (like my notorious graphics card that foxed both FC8 and Ubuntu 8.04) right but screwed up the keyboard layout and the wheel mouse. Neither of those insurmountable - but here's the real headache...

When I end a kde session - the machine just blanks the screen and hangs. I've tried ctrl+alt+backspace, ctrl+alt+f1 but the only workaround I've found is to ssh into it and reboot. Even trying to kill off a few likely processes hasn't fixed it. I've googled around and turned up nothing. The only small clue I can offer is it still seems to be in graphics mode i.e. the monitor shows the almost black sort of background that is shows during any startup of X - so it could well be a graphics driver issue - but I wouldn't really know where to start if this is the case.

Cheers
Rob