[Hampshire] PVRs: was Hellow

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] PVRs: was Hellow

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56a03100.hantslug.org.uk.20051': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Jun 17 09:02:36 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 18:55 +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> I don't know how we'd survive without our HD/DVD recorder.

Indeed. I've had a Humax 9200T 160GiB freeview PVR for just over two
years now after cancelling my Sky subscription. We use it every day for
scheduling recordings and timeshifting. Aside from the remote and UI
having a few geeky elements (hiding the most used button [ad-skip] under
a flap, and using "OK" to record things and not the record button), it's
a great device.

However I recently acquired a second hand mythtv box. Basically a 500MHz
Via CPU, 500MiB RAM, 200G IDE Disk and a dual-tuner PCI DVB-T (freeview)
card.

I fought for the best part of a day to get MythTV installed correctly on
the box, and now feel quite happy with the install. The idea of having
that box as the "backend" doing the recordings, and watching programmes
on small form factor, lightweight "frontend" devices appeals to me.

Tempted to get a DVB-S2 card to use freesat with the mythtv box, but
then I'll probably end up watching far too much telly :)

Cheers,
Al.