Re: [Hampshire] Web based pdf file creation

Author: Brian Chivers
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Web based pdf file creation
David Ramsden wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 06:16:41PM +0100, Damian Brasher wrote:
>
>> Brian Chivers wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for a nice simple way for users to create pdf's from any type
>>> of file via nice simple
>>> web interface.
>>>
>>> machine which is doable but a web front end would make it so much easier
>>>
>> I second that question, sorry can't give you an answer however the best
>> desktop tool I use regularly is the OpenOffice.org 'Export directly as
>> pdf' button.
>>

> The problem you'd have is interpreting the file types. Say someone
> uploaded a Microsoft Visio file, how would the web interface understand
> that?
>
> Brian, Google printui.dll. You can add this to your login script(s)
> (assuming it's for the college users on their Windows workstations) to
> connect the printer in the form of \\server\printer_name. You can
> install the PDFCreator in "network share" mode on to your print server.
>
> For example in the login script:
>
> rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /in /n \\server\printer_name
>
> Would add the printer on a per-machine basis when a user logs in
> (connecting a shared printer normally only applies to the users account,
> i.e. it's profile specific).
>
> Or you could write a VBS script that's called from the login script to
> connect the printer, checking that it doesn't exist first. Once again a
> quick Google on "vbs add printer" should bring up several examples.
>
> Regards,
> David.

Yes I can see what you mean. I'll have to look further into the
PDFCreator install options as we're about to start looking a a Windows
server for our printing so we can start running pcounter for the auditing.

I'll have google for printui.dll & also what I can do with our existing
Kixscript stuff that we have setup.

Thanks
Brian

                the views of Portsmouth College