Re: [Hampshire] Hellow

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hellow
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2008-06-15 20:13]:
> On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 19:11 +0100, Tim wrote:
> > Any particular reason you run BBCi Player under windows and not linux, mine
> > runs quite happily under Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Mepis7
>
> The BBC in their infinite wisdom use the brand name "iPlayer" to mean at
> least 3 different platforms. The flash based online player, the download
> version for windows, and the online player for iPhones. Oh, and the
> version for the Wii, which should soon be implemented as a "channel".

** end quote [Alan Pope]

Am I alone in finding these online catchup TV services a complete
failuer? I tried the Channel 4 one a while ago, and apart from finding
it very badly coded [1], when I finally instaled it and rearranged my
desktop to enable it to work I found the programme I wanted to see
wasn't available. I found the same thing on ITV when I looked, although
thankfully I didn't have to install an application to find that out.

The BBC were a slight improvement in that the show I wanted to watch was
available, but not for long enough. I watch the first episode of a 3 or
4 parter and completely forgot the second until the following week. I
recorded the third on the basis I could catch the second on iPlayer only
to find that the second episode was only kept for 7 days, so it was gone
before I got to it (I only noticed about 5 minutes before the third
episode was on).

All this can be considered as largely academic in some ways, since it is
not easy to actually watch the programmes. I don't really want to sit in
my office to watch them, and there's no way the whole family would
manage that. With all the DRM issues there is no practical way of
actually viewing the programmes on a TV, so after these few failed
attempts at finding the facility useful I've written it off as a wast of
time and effort.

[1] I doubt most users would notice the bug, but I use dual screens and
mouse over focus (noting this is Windows before anyone asks!). The
applet sat in the task bar on my left hand screen, but the menu
associated with it popped up on the right hand screen every time, and it
was impossible to get the mouse to it because the focus change as you
moved it across got rid of the menu!

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: