[Hampshire] Hellow

Author: Stevens S.
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Hellow
Hi there,

I'm new to the list and I thought I would introduce myself.

I could start with my name but actually on all things internet based (facebook, blogging, forums, e-mails etc) I go by the screen name of "Yellow". I know weird, in all other respects I am completely normal.

I have been using Linux for a few months when I was introduced to it by a student who stole my vista laptop and installed it, offering uninstall it a week later if I didn't like it or couldn't use it. I used it for a week and it is now my main operating system. I only use windows for BBC iplayer. The operating system I use is Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. I'm running it on a Dell Inspiron with a NVIDIA graphics card (don't get me started on that one), I also use compiz fusion and Kiba-Dock.

Unlike many of the list it seems like I am a complete amateur being as I know next to nothing about computers. My day job is a million miles away from IT. Having said that I am now something of a Linux disciple, and am learning fast. I've also got quite evangelical about the whole thing tell I'm a walking Linux advert! So far I haven't managed to convince my wife to put it on her laptop but if you ask my six year old son what the best operating system is he will reply UBUNTU without a seconds hesitation! You could describe me as a bit of a convert.

I work at the University of Southampton, I'm a humanities graduate twice over and I'm 35.

I have a couple of questions about my system which I may ask, but they will be on the basic side of basic.

Anyway that is probably enough for now.

I look forward to chatting to you and meeting you in the future

Best

Yellow