Re: [Hampshire] eeePC 900 WiFi problem

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] eeePC 900 WiFi problem
Aaron West wrote:
> Jim Kissel wrote:
>> alan c wrote:
>>>
>>> The forums have a lot of comments that in some networks there is no
>>> problem, yet in others there is. There seems to be poor error
>>> checking and handling, in the GUI - which I am using - of
>>> passwords/phrases. In fact on some occasions this morning there was a
>>> log message including that the password coffeeshop (ok, you know it
>>> now) was an invalid length or in another situation something like
>>> unsupported wireless key. However, the key was typed correctly, and
>>> there was another punter next to me using it ok. And the shop
>>> assistant offered to type it in herself, just to be sure :-) sweet.
>>> Perhaps I just look daft.
>>>
>>> I was interested to see that as I typed the key text in character by
>>> character, at one stage a particular key format was recognised. This
>>> was at the stage of having typed
>>> coffe
>>> and it was recognised as a type
>>> WEP64 bit in ASCII format
>>> but as I then continued to type the subsequent characters, no format
>>> was recognised. I do not know how this information might fit in with
>>> the problems I and others seem to be finding.
>>>
>>> The wireless card itself works I guess because mine shows nearby
>>> networks ok and is reported to have no problems in non encrypted
>>> conditions by others.
>>>
>>> I do not use wireless at home, hence my lack of experience about
>>> stuff. I expect to use the eeepc in the wlid, or in cafes and
>>> hotspots, at least.... so to find it does not work in Waterstones
>>> bookshop cafe in bracknell is a bummer. I have not tried muckdonalds
>>> yet, nor any paid for spots. Other 'hotspots' I have used on
>>> campsites etc get a connection configured by using a browser at
>>> ffirst, then a key. I suppose that the local router is open and the
>>> encryption is beyond that maybe.
>> Checking my network connections I have recently connected to 4
>> different wireless access points using WEP with eeePC. No problems
>> other than typing in long keys in hex.
>>
> As a big fan of my 701 I assume when you say you have checked the forums
> you mean www.eeeuser.com also check the wiki great community there.
>
> Anyway just a few links worth a look at
>
> http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:wpawithspaces
> and
> http://wiki.eeeuser.com/wpa_default_xandros

thanks, yes. It is these eee forms which highlighted the problem for me
after I had spent the morning without success in the cafe.

For examples

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=155795#p155795
'I had this problem for the first time yesterday at a coffee shop in
the area. I noticed that the Eee reported it received a DHCPOFFER but
never responded to that. Subsequently, when I tried to connect, I got
the dreaded "NO DHCPOFFER" messages. When I assigned the wireless
card a static IP it worked fine.
I suspect that at least part of the problem perhaps lies in the DHCP
client used on the Eee. I've been trying to track down information,
I've only been moderately successful so far. I do know the Eee uses
the client from isc.org.
Anyway, the network I was trying to connect to was an open network, so
WEP/WPA wasn't an issue. If I stumble across anything usefull I'll
post it here. I suspect either a DHCP timeout - the Eee is timing out
on the offer before it responds or something similar.'

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=10042
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=52247
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=17594

--