[Hampshire] whatever happened to Unix time? (Hardy 8.04)

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] whatever happened to Unix time? (Hardy 8.04)
Hi,
firstly, sorry I could not get to the meeting last weekend. Looks like
you had a fun time.

Now: I've just upgraded to U***** Hardy. I used to keep one instance
of the 'clock' (not sure what its name was) on the panel showing
regular time, and one showing what it used to call "Unix" time - i.e.
the number of seconds since the start of The Epoch - which is
currently
victor@ss07:~/Desktop$ perl -e "print time,qq/\n/"
1213091387
victor@ss07:~/Desktop$

Now we use UTC in our logging applications and it's quite useful to
have it in the panel for reference.

According to the 'Help' for the clock applet it is still there:

UNIX time
Display the time in seconds elapsed since January 1, 1970. Developers
are the primary users of UNIX time.

Have scanned the Ubuntu Forums but most issues aroound the clock are
to do with time zones & synchronisation which are not my problem.