Re: [Hampshire] Favorite lightweight windows managers

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Favorite lightweight windows managers
Stuart Sears wrote:
> Damian Brasher wrote:
>> Stuart Sears wrote:
> [snip]
>>> Now, if only I could work out how to set up single-click activation on
>>> an XFCE desktop I might even be convinced to try it again. :)

Yes, I assumed that thunar actions take effect on the desktop without
checking. They are not so intrinsically linked as Nautilus and the Gnome
desktop.

> inside thunar, single click is just as I like it.
>
> on the desktop I still have to double-click. Which I don't like.

I have tried to create a new icon and edit the properties to see if that
can be altered. By right clicking the 'File System' icon then selecting
'Desktop' then 'Create URL link' I made myself a launcher with a normal
URL and icon, no single click activation. I substituted an URL with
/usr/bin/glxgears and the icon did actually launch glxgears, so 'create
URL link' option is some kind of subset of the Xfce meta data.

Right click the test icon and choose 'Open with "Text Editor"' reveals
this Xfce Desktop icon definition language:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Link
Name=glxgears
Comment=
Icon=redhat-main-menu
URL=/usr/bin/glxgears

So I'll try to see if there are some hidden options that can be inserted
here, or perhaps the equivalent of an 'Active Desktop' is either not
implemented or hidden away somewhere.

Damian
--
Damian L Brasher RHCE BSc (Open) MBCS