Re: [Hampshire] gdm + xfce

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] gdm + xfce
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Some recent discussion around xfce reminded me of the fact that, prior
> to rebuilding with Hardy (as opposed to upgrading), I used to use it.
>
> When I rebuilt it wouldn't work for whatever reason so I stuck with
> gnome and forgot all about it, being fairly agnostic in these matters.
>
> In an attempt to answer a question that cropped up in the recent
> discussion I tried to enable it and find myself stumped. Basically
> selecting it from the options available in gdm sees X start up and then
> grind to an almost immediate halt leaving me with a mouse pointer on a
> blank screen with no menus or clickable options.
>
> If I hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 I can log in, kill all the gdm and X related
> processes then issue 'startxfce4' and proceed to a normal, healthy
> session. Presumably this indicates a problem with the way that gdm is
> initialising the xfce session, but having googled and dug around a bit I
> can't see where this is. It seems to be a system-wide issue as I have
> tried logging in as a user that I know has never used xfce and get the
> same result, and have laso restored my xfce configuration from the
> previous build to the same effect.
>
> Anyone got any pointers?

I've made a little progress but as yet I am not sure how to convert it
into a full resolution to the problem.

Basically by hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1 I can restart /etc/init.d/dbus as root
and then go back to the graphical session with Ctrl-Alt-F7 and hit
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, from where I can log in normally to an xfce session.
However, restarting the PC takes me back to square one of this work around.

Sean