Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Freesat ethernet

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Freesat ethernet

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56a0b100.hantslug.org.uk.22872': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jun 8 18:08:07 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 15:10 +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Does anybody know...
> a) what (if anything) I'd get from connecting it to my network?

Nothing yet.

> b) what will be available when it's available (if you see what I mean)?

Depends on the box and what the Freesat people launch. Typically this
_may_ mean software updates over the wire, iplayer like services,
browser etc.

> Will it act like a cable modem? I've heard the expression "satellite
> modem" (and just looked it up on Wikipedia) - is this the same sort of
> thing?

Not likely. For satellite internet with a dish such as you get with
freesat/sky, you generally use the phone line for the uplink and
satellite for down.

Cheers,
Al.