Re: [Hampshire] Dumb dpkg/aptitude question

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Dumb dpkg/aptitude question

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56f12100.hantslug.org.uk.8406': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jun 6 13:20:01 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Richard,

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 01:13:41PM +0100, Richard Danter wrote:
> 2008/6/6 Andy Smith <andy@???>:
> > On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 12:50:16PM +0100, Richard Danter wrote:
> >> I have a .deb file (it's the PUEL version of VirtualBox) that I want
> >> to install on a headless server.
> >
> > Installing non-official debs is a good way to break your system.
>
> Well, it was built by Sun Micro and is specifically for my distro so I
> hope it won't break anything.

Okay, well that is not so bad. I don't really see the problem with
installing this with dpkg and then using apt-get or aptitude to pull
in the dependencies.

You can probably find a switch to dpkg to show the dependencies
before you install it, but I don't really see what ultimate
difference it would make.

Cheers,
Andy