[Hampshire] Advice: transcoding HD video for the web

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Advice: transcoding HD video for the web
Evening all.

I'm after some advice on the best way of
transcoding an HD video for distribution on the
web.

As part of a bid, Jamie's has had a short
promotional video created. The result is a 3-ish
minute video in H.264 1080p format.

I've successfully transcoded that to DVD-format
MPEG2, which is a little more widely supported
than HD. However, we'd like to put the video on
the web site, which will require dropping the bit
rate even further.

What's the best container and codecs to use for
web distribution? We have plenty of disk space,
but want to make the video available to as many
people as possible.

Thanks for your help.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.