Re: [Hampshire] Big home backups

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Big home backups
alan c wrote:

> The size produces problems of sheer time taken to backup.
> I back up about 50 GB on a data machine and about 100 GB on a daily
> use machine in a home environment. The practical problems have been
> more significant for me rather than security issues to date.

I see you have some Differential going with rync but using say a monthly
FULL against weekday Diffs will save you more time and make the whole
exercise more managebale. Rsync mirrors of ordinary data can be messy and
difficult to manage I have found. Rdiff was not robust enough I also
found.

<to list generally>
If no one has any objection, as a thought exercise and research, I will
compile an anonymous online survey to poll HLUG ML as to what they
consider their five most important pieces of data, i.e. a particular
database or set of spreadsheets, photos etc and the approximate size then
publish the results.
</to list generally>

--
Damian L Brasher