Re: [Hampshire] Worthwhile screensaver

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Worthwhile screensaver

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57b9d100.hantslug.org.uk.5963': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri May 30 09:20:13 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 18:22 +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> You're looking for something to keep that CPU churning away rather than
> looking to let it nap for a while and stop munching away on all that
> environmentally unfriendly and increasingly expensive electricity?

I agree with this. I run all my machines with "blank screen"
screensaver. It's long irritated me to see companies deploy
CPU-intensive screensavers by default on thousands of desktops. At
lunchtime the power consumption rockets as all of the screensavers kick
in. Quite sad.

> Sorry, bit tongue in cheek there, but I'm currently busy (or at least
> trying to be) looking into low power computing :)

We (Ubuntu UK Podcast [1]) are currently evaluating some of these types
of devices for the show. I've got a Viglen MPC-L here. It has an AMD
Geode CPU, a hard disk and very little else. It's quite slow as a full
on desktop (currently running xubuntu), but as an LTSP device or Server
it would be ideal.

More details in the show when we make it :)

Cheers,
Al.