Re: [Hampshire] Re: Power Usage

Author: m.nuttall
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: Power Usage
Quoting Paul Tansom <paul@???>:

> ** Stephen Davies <stephen.davies@???> [2008-05-20 15:02]:
> > Thanks for your observations. I'm sure there is a bit of Parkinson Law
> > in effect here.
> > But for this very reason, I'm now using MAC Mini's for my 'always on'
> > systems. I'm not sure what the total power drain of my three is but I'm
> > pretty sure it is far less than my main Dev Server ( Quad Core, 8Gb etc)
> > that I use when I work from home (90% of the time)
> > It might be that the reduction in CO2 emissions I make from less driving
> > is more than that generated from the Electricity that I use. Those would
> > make some interesting calculations.
>
> Indeed. As with many things if you really delve into things you can get
> really lost just identifying all the variables necessary to get a truly
> accurate picture. Much like bio fuels being farmed in environmentally
> damaging ways as farmers tear down forests to plant the crops, and the
> relative cost and environmental impact on importing a hybrid car as
> opposed to using a standard vehicle built in this country by the same
> manufacturer. We have a long way to go yet, but it is a start.
>
> > Back to the MAC Mini.
> > These are wonderful little devices. Almost totally silent in operation.
> > No loud fans running.
> > I just got a second PPC one off EBay for 110GPB. 1Gb Ram, 80Gb HDD.
> > It is now running Fedora 9 and service the Picture callery for the
> > Camera Club. The others are running Fedora 8 (PPC) & Centos 5.1 (Intel).
> > The Intel one is also running two VMware Systems. One for Email and the
> > other for Bugzilla, SVN, Dev Wiki etc.
>
> That sounds like a mighty good price for a Mac Mini. I've been on the
> lookout for a B&W G3 or better for some time so I can take a proper look
> at OSX, and every now and then I check eBay for prices on the late G3
> and early G4 Macs and Mac Minis.

You could build a hackintosh with your x86 pc now.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2 gives a hardware
compatibility guide on the what will works with osx.

I have been thinking of starting a project since i need a new motherboard. The
USB seems to be flakey with high speed transfers ie flash drives and external
hdd.

Martin N