Re: [Hampshire] mandrake and ibnm thinkpad update

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] mandrake and ibnm thinkpad update
m.nuttall@??? wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found a linux distro chooser questionaire on http://www.zegeniestudios.net/
> ldc/
>
> After filling it in a got the suprising to me suse distribution as the perfect
> choice. Suprising as i didnt think it was any faster than other kde distro the
> questionaire covers.
>
> It says about the others
>
> 1) freespire,ubuntu,mandriva
>
> - may not be suitable becasuse your computer maybe too slow
>
> 2) kubuntu =too slow and not suitable for beginners.
>
> 3) fedora = may require linux knowledge
>
> Any thoughts on those answers?
> Is suse really faster than other kde based distros?

I personally doubt it. If there is anything in it I cannot imagine for a
moment that it would be as significant as the difference between say
Kubuntu and Xubuntu on the same kit.

Similarly with the comments about suitability for beginners and Linux
knowledge being required - I really can't imagine a total beginner
struggling a great deal more with Kubuntu or Fedora than SuSE.

Anyway, I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating - go grab an
iso and run it up and let us know how it goes!

Sean