Re: [Hampshire] resolv.conf

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] resolv.conf
> Hi Keir,
>
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 02:24:02PM +0100, Keir Whitlock wrote:
>>    I'm having a issue with my servers at the moment in that if the
>> first resolver in the resolv.conf file goes down the servers hang on
>> lookups while it times out. Which is then causing website errors and
>> servers try and communicate with database servers etc.

> [...]
>
>> any other suggestions are welcome.
>
> What is the reason that you have to use host names in your
> application logic? I personally would not use a hostname in a
> configuration like that, as it inevitably results in a costly DNS
> lookup at the best of times.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that applications should use an IP
address rather than a DNS name or am I misunderstanding?

If so this isn't a very easy to maintain solution, what if you introduce a
new subnet, change ip address, move a machine to another server room etc.

Certainly I would want to ensure that my resolver was very reliable and
have appropriate fail-over in place, but don't use IP addresses, it makes
networked applications far too dependant on what should be a transparent
transport layer.