Re: [Hampshire] OpenSSL in Debian is broken

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OpenSSL in Debian is broken

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5702d100.hantslug.org.uk.32010': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu May 15 00:07:52 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:02:58PM +0000, Nick Chalk wrote:
> > Assume you have a stream of numbers in base 10
> > (i.e. made up of a series of digits from 0-9).
> >
> > This stream of numbers would be considered
> > random if, given the first x digits, it is
> > impossible to determine the x+1 th digit with
> > probability > 1/10. That is to say, each digit
> > is equally likely to be any one of the possible
> > values.
>
> I'm no cryptanalyst - or mathematician - so I'll
> try to dig up an archive of the discussion.

Could be interesting (or scary, or both).

> I have a vague recollection that part of argument
> was about sequence repetition. For cryptography,
> it's not just a case of whether you can predict
> the next digit, but whether earlier parts of the
> 'random' sequence allow you to infer properties of
> future parts of the sequence.

That's covered by Chris's definition: given the first x (decimal)
digits, can you predict the x+1th digit with probability greater than
0.1?

Hugo.

        --- The avalanche has started. It is too late for the ---
                            pebbles to vote.