Re: [Hampshire] Shuttleworth wants Linux Distro Release sync

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Shuttleworth wants Linux Distro Release sync
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 07:13:44 +0100 (+0100), Stephen Davies wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/13/ubuntu_linux_synchronization/
>
> My take on this is that this idea is frankly silly.
> Why?

[snip]
Perfectly valid reasons. However if distributions were a bit more in
sync (for the _long term support_ releases - i.e. Ubuntu LTS, RHEL,
Debian rather than Ubuntu (non-LTS), Fedora) then it could help
application vendors.

For example, instead of having to test and code against Openoffice
2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0,3.1 etc, they would only need to test against 2.1
(if that was what was "current" in all three distributions). Then
several years later against say 3.0.

OTOH I don't personally really care that much about the big vendors
:-)

Adrian