Re: [Hampshire] looking for a good reference on using textin…

Author: Graham Bleach
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] looking for a good reference on using textinput in RSS feeds
2008/5/12 Victor Churchill <victorchurchill@???>:
> There is information all over the 'net about RSS, so much that it's a
> bit overwhelming and it can be hard to locate just what is needed.

RSS is just XML served over HTTP.

> What I'd like to do is to set up a feed which is password protected.

I'm not quite clear what you mean by this. Do you wish to have an RSS
feed which cannot be accessed by anyone who does not have a valid
username and password?

If so, you probably just want to use a standard HTTP authentication
method. This is pretty simple to configure in apache, for example.My
preference would be for digest authentication, since the password is
not sent as plaintext, however I have no idea how widely supported it
is by RSS readers.

Regards,
Graham