[Hampshire] How does Linux handle devices?

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] How does Linux handle devices?
Hi all

I have a bit of spare time shortly (no OU course from June until next
February) and I'd like to fill a yawning gap (one of many!) in my Linux /
UNIX knowledge - how does Linux handle devices? Can anyone recommend a
good source? I'd be happy with a web link or a book. I've hunted around
and not found exactly what I'm after.

For this reason, I've never been too keen on upgrading my kernel or
installing new hardware in an otherwise stable system - but I think if I can
fill this gap in my knowledge - I can probably ditch XP for good.

Cheers
Rob